Tuesday, August 26, 2008

FF aftermath and musings

My new ffootball rankings:

1) Mike
2) Alyse
3 and 4) Kaufmann and Brian
5) Rodney
6) Me

I had a good draft but several injuries have made my team much worse on paper than it was. Bobby Engram, my surprise stud WR from last year, is out for 7 weeks. Cleveland's right guard is out for the year, therefore fucking Earnest Graham. Jerry Porter is gametime decision for the first game.

Mike looks really strong. Steven Jackson, Maurice J.D, Steve Smith, Garrard, Wittnen, and Cotchery makes him the team to beat. I give myself about a 30% chance to beat him in week one.

The beach this weekend is going to be nuts. Feel free to come down for a bit and check out the scene.

Congrats to Joe Biden for being our V.P, repping DE. I really didn't think Obama would take that kind of chance, since Biden has a history of running his mouth and his state is irrelevant, but I think it really reinforces Obama's idea campaign of running a principled campaign without political regard. On Bodog, Mitt Romney is a 2-3 favorite to be McCain's running mate; I think there is a good chance it'll be Tom Ridge though, a moderate who will secure PA.

BTW, can anybody explain to me why someone should vote for McCain? I mean that to contrast the popular and most frequently answered question, why not to vote for Obama. When I asked my parents why the would vote for McCain, they said because they don't trust OBama. Whenever McCain campaigns or makes a press release about the campaign, it is a knock on Obama. I haven't heard one argument from a McCain supporter why one should vote for McCain, only why one shouldn't vote for Obama. It seems to me that if that is the popular position, anti-Obama rather pro-McCain, the right thing to do for anti-Obamites is just to not vote unless they have a reasonable belief that McCain's policies and adminstration will affirmatively better for the country. Its quite intellectually and politically irresponsible otherwise.

Time for a little bragging. I took the GMAT last week and got a 710 (92% percentile). The average GMAT at Harvard is a 705. I studied for about 20 hours. It was quite a bit easier than the LSAT, but at the same time, law school conditioned me to take highly analytical, high pressure, three hour tests.

The problem is my character history on paper is poor. In reality, I have absolutely no remorse or guilt for any of the crimes I committed (with the exception of my DUI at 17). All of my transgressions were non-violent intoxicant related crimes against myself. While illegal, I dont believe for a minute that they were immoral. Most western nations other than the U.S would consider my "crimes" acceptable. Alcohol and marijuana use is not only socially acceptable in most western socieities but the real irony is that most of the people judging me are guilty of the same "crimes" but weren't caught.

Regardless (boo fucking hoo), the pros and cons here are:

Pro
Good Gmat score
Hispanic
Good law school grades

Con
Bad character history
Average undergrad grades
Little work experience

Obviously the biggest obstacle is the character thing. If anybody has any clever ideas about the most painless and rewarding way to cure my character issues, or belongs to a volunteer or nonprofit group that needs help, let me know.

Rock Band= Awesome. While the guitar work is not nearly as fun as guitar hero, the group ethic is fucking awesome.

Book recommendation: Scott Turow's "Ultimate Punishment: A Lawyer's Reflections on Dealing with the Death Penalty". It is an incredibly insightful look at the complexities of the death penalty. Turow worked on a commission to suggest reforms for the Illinois Death Penalty, and had unlimited resources to create a broad picture of all of the considerations that go into creating a just, predictable, and consistent capital punishment policy. His basic conclusion was that while everybody has heard of crimes that scream for the death penalty, it is so unwieldy as a whole that it should be abolished.

Movie recommendation: The Counterfeiters. A nazi death camp French movie about Jewish counterfeiters who were forced to manufacture American dollars as a way to destro the American economy. Riveting.

Wish you saw it: Gold medal basketball game. A real classic. Spain played out of its mind and way above its means, but the U.S proved too talented. There is no question now that we have the best basketball players in the world (if there ever was one). I also think we have the bess athletes in the world, regardless of the golf medal count. Shooting and ping pong gold medals don't mean shit.

Article of the week:

Bush Told To Sign Birthday Treaty For Someone Named 'Kyoto'

WASHINGTON—Enlisted by members of the House and Senate, presidential aide Rebecca Tandy brought a copy of the international climate-change treaty to President Bush's desk Monday and asked him to sign a birthday document for a Japanese dignitary named "Kyoto Protocol." "Mr. Protocol really likes treaties, so we got him this treaty instead of a card, so if you could just—all the other countries have already signed it," a nervous Tandy reportedly said to Bush, who quickly scrawled his signature on the treaty and told her to tell Kyoto he said "hi." "And now, if you could just initial here, and here, and here, and, oh, you can ignore all that stuff about sulfides. That's just an inside joke." House Speaker Nancy Pelosi later attempted to get Bush to sign a "bar mitzvah stop-use agreement" for the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Clusterbomb.

No comments: